28.3 C
Japan
Friday, August 29, 2025

Police issue major update over Hull funeral home where 35 bodies were found

Must read

Detectives investigating a Hull funeral home where the remains of 35 people were retrieved have issued a major update.

Humberside Police says it has sent a “comprehensive” dossier of evidence including 13,000 exhibits to the Crown Prosecution Service over the Legacy Independent Funeral Directors case. The funeral home has been under investigation since March last year, when it was sealed off and raided before human remains and ashes were discovered.

A 46-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of prevention of a lawful and decent burial, fraud and theft, while two other women aged 54 and 23 were also arrested. Humberside said on Monday that the man and 54-year-old woman, who was questioned on suspicion of money laundering, both remained on conditional bail.

The younger woman was previously released from bail with police saying she was no longer being treated as a suspect. In the update on Monday, a spokesperson for Humberside said it had now submitted a file of more than 13,000 exhibits to the Crown Prosecution Service for a charging decision “following a meticulous 10-month investigation”.

The families of 163 deceased have been visited by police in relation to the discovery of ashes, the force previously said. Many bereaved relatives said they had been left questioning whether the discoveries had been those of their loved ones – with some told they definitely have the wrong remains.

However, the force said that forensic testing would be unable to ascertain the correct identities of the ashes due to DNA being destroyed during the cremation process. In April, the force said that a helpline set up for potential victims had received more than 2,000 calls, of which a “significant number” were from people “understandably concerned” about the identification of the ashes they had been given for their loved ones.

Assistant Chief Constable Thom McLoughlin said on Monday: “The families of the 35 deceased have been informed by specialist-trained officers of this significant development and contact has also been made with other families affected. The investigation has been comprehensive and lengthy as we have diligently and sensitively handled each line of enquiry with the families who have suffered an untold amount of grief, heartache and distress.

“I would like to express my gratitude to the families, together with the wider community for their unwavering patience and co-operation. Their support has been invaluable as we have gathered information in the hope of seeking the answers they want and deserve, for them, and their loved ones.

“At this time, a man arrested in March and a woman arrested in July remain on conditional police bail.” The senior officer added: “In consultation with the CPS, we remain committed to keeping those families affected at the heart of this investigation and we will look to provide further updates about the progression of the case and the next steps, after those who have been so deeply affected have been informed.”

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the “Do Not Sell or Share my Data” button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Cookie Notice.

More articles

Latest article